Home Blog Page 79

Ex-DOH chief says Philippines’ COVID-19 response ’10 steps back’ from square one

0

Christian Deiparine (Philstar.com) – March 18, 2021

MANILA, Philippines — A former health secretary said the country is not actually on square one again in its pandemic response, but “ten steps back” from it with the picture at home seemingly worse from last year.

Dr. Esperanza Cabral made the statement on Wednesday, which was shared by Dr. Tony Leachon as the Philippines continue to see a daily rise in new COVID-19 cases. Even officials admitted this is partly due to the presence of more variants being detected, apart from attributing it to the public not following protocols which many have rejected the blame for.

“Square one,” she said, was when the country could still afford to shut down the economy and provide financial aid to those affected, but more than a year later, “we don’t have those things this time.”

“[It] was when hospitals were full but doctors and other health care workers, though scared to get COVID themselves and still guessing how to treat something they had never met before, were fresh and eager to do battle with this particular enemy,” Cabral added. “Now they are tired, just like everyone else.”

Similar measures set last year have since made their return recently as government seeks to curb the ongoing rise in infections. In Metro Manila, a unified curfew for two weeks was rolled out, with minors once again disallowed to step out of their homes. Some barangays have also been put under localized lockdowns.

All of these came as the administration repeatedly claimed that its response to the health crisis has been excellent, only to disputed by the surge and the news of more Filipinos contracting the variants, as well as a homegrown also being detected.

Sought for comment on where the response was lacking, Cabral told ABS-CBN’s Teleradyo on Thursday that measures should have been quicker and wider to implement.

“I think that’s where the problems were at,” she said in Filipino. “We have a lot of shortcomings in contact tracing, border control and vaccine rollout.”

Slow vaccine rollout

Cabral, who was the country’s health chief for nearly a year until the end of the Arroyo administration, said inoculation efforts should also be accelerated, if government looks to fulfill its promise to vaccinate 50 to 70 million in 2021 alone. 

“We need to ramp it up because at the rate of vaccination we are going..assuming that there is a steady supply of vaccines, it will take us more than 12 years before we finish the 70 million,” she said. “Whatever the speed of it is, we have to do 17 times faster than that to finish by end of the year.”

By mid-March, the month when vaccinations began, government data showed nearly 216,000 Filipinos had received the jabs so far.

And while officials said some 2.3 million more doses of Sinovac and AstraZeneca could arrive in April, all have been merely donations so far, with no final purchase deals signed to date aside from another one million from Sinovac.

Also on Thursday, two senators backed Cabral’s remarks, saying her insights “carry much weight” having led the health department years ago.

“She knows from where she speaks, being in the middle of all the health efforts as early as when the pandemic hit our shores,” said Sen. Panfilo Lacson.

Sen. Francis Pangilinan, meanwhile, said he fears that the Filipinos’ health as well as of the economy will continue to take hit if government fails to address “the serious gaps in the slow vaccine rollout” as well as on challenges in tracing and isolation.

‘We refuse to be sacrificial lambs:’ Nurses demand better gov’t response to pandemic as cases surge

0

(Philstar.com) – March 20, 2021

MANILA, Philippines — A nurses’ group called on the government to recalibrate its response to the pandemic in the face of a surge in COVID-19 cases that they said have stretched them “to the limits.”

“We refuse to be sacrificial lambs to this pandemic. We are humans and we need to be cared for. We should be saved from this national calamity and public health disaster,” Filipino Nurses United (FNU) said Saturday in a statement. Related Stories COVID-19 task force adviser: New cases milder, but ‘whole households’ trooping to hospitals

“Nurses, doctors and co-health workers are victims themselves of a government COVID-19 response that is generally inefficient and mismanaged,” FNU added.

FNU called for Health Secretary Francisco Duque III’s resignation so he can be replaced by someone “more competent.”

They also said that uniformed personnel should step aside and let medical experts take control of the pandemic response.

The group said the government must use the funding allocated for its pandemic response to support healthcare workers by ensuring adequate staffing, transportation, accommodations, hazard pay and medical assistance for them and their families.

It added that additional nurses should be hired to address understaffing and that wage hikes and paid leaves of nurses in the private sector should be subsidized.

It also called for the regularization of contractual nurses and other health workers, arguing that they also perform the tasks of tenured staff and are exposed to the same risks.

The group again pleaded for mass COVID-19 testing, aggressive contact tracing, and improved quarantine services.

More than a year since Luzon was placed on lockdown to stem COVID-19 cases, the country is faced with a record-breaking surge which runs the risk of overwhelming the healthcare system.

Teodoro Herbosa, adviser to the National Task Force Against COVID-19, said that while new cases are milder, they still weigh down on the healthcare system as “whole households” are reporting to hospitals with the disease. — Xave Gregorio

Duterte must face int’l accountability for killings – rights groups

0

Mar 18, 2021, Jodesz Gavilan

MANILA, Philippines

Human rights advocate Shamini Darshni Kaliemuthu says the Philippines has become an ‘increasingly dangerous space, not just for human rights defenders, but for all of civil society’

Global human rights groups on Thursday, March 18, said President Rodrigo Duterte should be held accountable, through international mechanisms, for continuous killings in the Philippines.

In a joint statement, at least 7 groups said an international investigative mechanism for widespread violence in the country “is even more imperative today than it has ever been.”

“Domestic human rights mechanisms remain compromised, while human rights defenders face threats every day,” they said.

The statement was issued by the Asian Forum for Human Rights and Development (FORUM-ASIA), Asia Democracy Network (ADN), ASEAN Parliamentarians for Human Rights (APHR), International Federation for Human Rights, Front Line Defenders, World Organization Against Torture, and CIVICUS.

It came after the March 7 police and military crackdown that left 9 activists dead in Calabarzon, the highest number of fatalities in a single incident in the region, according to the Commission on Human Rights (CHR).

FORUM-ASIA executive director Shamini Darshni Kaliemuthu said Duterte’s deadly rhetoric has resulted in actual violence on the ground, making the country an “increasingly dangerous space, not just for human rights defenders, but for all of civil society and the Philippine people at large.”

According to official data, at least 6,039 suspected drug personalities have been killed during police operations as of January 31. Human rights groups estimate a higher death toll of 27,000 to 30,000 to include victims of vigilante-style killings.

The CHR, meanwhile, has documented 130 killings of human rights defenders and activists since July 2016.

“These attacks go beyond individual killings; they reinforce an environment where people are afraid to question and dissent, further perpetuating this cycle of impunity,” CIVICUS Asia Pacific researcher Josef Benedict said.

The Philippine situation, especially Duterte’s drug war, has been under scrutiny by foreign bodies, including the United Nations and the International Criminal Court (ICC).

The UN rights office, in a report in June 2020, found that the domestic system is not enough to exact accountability over the killings. But the UN Human Rights Council (UNHRC), despite the scathing report, adopted a resolution which offered “technical assistance” to the

Philippines. (READ: Calabarzon killings revive criticism of UN council resolution: ‘shameful’)

“This proves that the UNHRC’s recent resolution has been ineffective at stemming these violations, and the international community must immediately initiate clear and sustained action to hold the perpetrators to account,” Benedict said.

In December 2020, ICC Prosecutor Fatou Bensouda said there is “reasonable basis” to believe that crimes against humanity were committed in the drug-related killings. It is expected to decide whether or not to open a formal investigation by 2021. – Rappler.com

With billions in loans, Lacson asks: ‘Nasaan ka bakuna?’

0

By: Christia Marie Ramos – Reporter/INQUIRER.net /March 18, 2021

MANILA, Philippines — Nasaan ka bakuna? (Where are the vaccines?)

This was the question posed by Senator Panfilo Lacson as he cited the P126.75-billion government funding for the procurement of COVID-19 vaccines, a bulk of which is from approved loans sourced from multilateral lenders.

In a tweet, Lacson enumerated the supposed approved loans from the World Bank (WB), the Asian Development Bank (ADB), and Asian Infrastructure Investment Bank (AIIB) from April last year to March 2021 to finance the country’s purchase of vaccines.

Lacson also noted that the Bayanihan to Recover as One Act provides for P10-billion funding under the Department of Health (DOH) for the same purpose.

Interesting flashback: Filipino actors doing film in Quezon province view remains of Ma. Lorena Barros

0

Bulletin Today March 26, l976

NPA CHIEF SLAIN
Camp Wilhelm, Lucena City, March 25 – A top commander of the NPA operating in the Quezon-Laguna-Bulacan triangle, with a price of P 30,000 on her head, was killed early this morning in Bo. Cagsiay II, Mauban, Quezon.  Lt. Col. Wilfredo P.  Villanueva, Quezon PC Commander, in his report to Brig. Gen. Alfredo Montoya, identified the slain dissident chief as Maria Lorena Barros, wife of an NPA Commander who surrendered to Pres. Marcos last year.  The slain amazon was a UP graduate of Arts and Sciences.  The PC said that Barros was married to Ramon Sanchez who surrendered to President Marcos last year.  

Note to the photo:

News writer and film maker Diego Cagahastian gave the photo to this blogger sometime in the 1980’s. He was part of a film crew shooting a film in Mauban Quezon with Ramon Revilla and Boots Anson Roa (who were in the photo viewing Lory’s body). At the time of the filming, the military were already prowling the mountains of Mauban looking for Lorie.  Diego said one of the soldiers told him they were already tipped of the mountain hideout of Lorie and it was just a matter of time for her capture, dead or alive.  Tragically her end came.  The commanding military officer recounted Lorie was mortally bleeding but still alive when they captured her.  He said she managed to say a few parting words.

Many people came to view Lorie’s body to pay respects to her.  Diego was so moved by what he saw that he set out to do a film project of her life but it did not materialize.  The picture is a tiny passport size photo  which was enlarged for clarity.

(http://remembering-lorenabarros.blogspot.com/2011/01/bulletin-today-march-26-l976-npa-chief.html)

ANG TAGUMPAY NI MARIA LORENA BARROS [18 MARSO 1948-23 MARSO 1976]

0

Tulang pagpupugay ni E. San Juan, Jr.

Punglong sumabog–

Simbuyo ng paghihimagsik!

Ipinagkaloob mo ang iyong metalikong kaluluwa

sa dapog ng rebolusyon

Di kailangan ang uling ng pagdadalamhati

Di dapat mamighati

Tilamsik ng dugo

Sa sugatang himaymay ng iyong dibdib umapoy, sumigid

Ang umaasong adhika:

Kaluluwa mo’y masong dudurog sa tanikala ng kadiliman

Sumagitsit, napugnaw–

Sa lagim ng iyong pagkatupok, titis ng hininga mo’y

Di tumirik, di nags aabo….

Ang pasiya mong lumaban ay nagbaggang tinggang umagnas, lumusaw sa anumang 

balakid.

Kailangang magpatigas

Dapat maging bakal–

Hindi ginto o pilak–

Ang kaluluwa upang sa sumusugbang lagablab ng pag-usig sa kabuktutan

Pandayin ang katawan ng ating pagnanais

Pandayin ang pinakamimithing kalayaan

Pandayin ang liwanag ng kinabukasan.

[Mula sa  E. San Juan, ALAY SA PAGLIKHA NG BUKANG-LIWAYWAY (Ateneo University Press, 2000, p. 49; unang nailathala sa koleksiyon ni E. San Juan, KUNG IKAW AY INAAPI, 1983].

Six other diseases killed more Filipinos than COVID-19

0

Gaea Katreena Cabico (Philstar.com) – March 17, 2021

MANILA, Philippines — Coronavirus is deadly, but it was not the top disease that killed Filipinos last year.

“The lack of clinic check-ups, the lack of attendance of doctors because they too cannot go to work created right now a scenario in which cardiovascular disorders are increasing,” said Anthony Leachon, an infectious disease doctor and former adviser to the National Task Force Against COVID-19.

Ischaemic heart diseases were the leading cause of death for second year in a row, with 99,680 people losing their lives last year. Mortality from the disease went up 2.3% year-on-year, and represented 17.3% of total loss of life because of a disease last year.

Neoplasms or tumors as well as cerebrovascular diseases were ranked second and third, respectively, although deaths from these diseases declined by 9.3% and 6% from year-ago levels.

Deaths due to diabetes mellitus however rose 7.8% to 37,265 last year, enough to put the disease as the fourth top killer of Filipinos from fifth in 2019. At sixth place, deaths from hypertensive diseases also jumped 6.3% to 29,511 last year, when most Filipinos were forced to become stationary at their homes.

COVID-19-related registered deaths only came in seventh at 27,967, prompting the Coalition of People’s Right to Health to lament what it said is the “covidization” of healthcare. The non-government organization argued that while coronavirus remains a serious concern, other diseases should not be sidelined.

“Many patients were unable to receive proper follow-up for monitoring and treatment, perhaps worsening chronic and neglected diseases. Unfortunately, this may have contributed to more deaths indirectly caused by the pandemic,” its convenor, Joshua San Pedro said in an interview.

Possible underreporting

As a go-around, telemedicine became a norm to avoid adding to hospital congestions, but care has also been limited by technology and diseases that require a close check-up, especially when underlying conditions were involved.  

A long-term fix, San Pedro said, a free and comprehensive primary care package for communities would go long a way “to hopefully stop preventable, treatable, and unnecessary deaths.” But the universal healthcare law that intends to provide this, has also been hampered by dwindling state resources already dedicated for COVID-19.

Hence, preventable deaths may have ended up ultimately not prevented at all. Worse, San Pedro said deaths may be bigger than actually reported as not all is registered. “We still have to keep in mind that these numbers do not and will not encompass all who were affected by the virus and ensuing pandemic, because of undertesting and underreporting,” he said.

Not all diseases however became deadlier last year. Deaths due to pneumonia, for instance, sank 48% year-on-year to 32,574, a drop correlated with an increase in pneumococcal vaccine take-up as well as lockdowns that limited exposure to other infectious diseases.

Chronic lower respiratory infections also consequently shrank 26.8% to 19,463.

After freeing activists, Mandaluyong judge gets red-tagged in an EDSA tarp

0

Mar 16, 2021, Lian Buan

MANILA, Philippines

‘The courts are under attack,’ says progressive lawmaker Ferdinand Gaite

After freeing two activists and clearing them of charges, a Mandaluyong judge was red-tagged in a tarpaulin along the busy EDSA thoroughfare in Shaw.

Photos showed a tarpaulin “thanking” Mandaluyong Regional Trial Court (RTC) Branch 209 Judge Monique Quisumbing-Ignacio for her “quick action” in freeing “mga kasama (our comrades).” The logo of the Communist Party of the Philippines (CPP) appeared on the tarpaulin.

“Hindi natin alam kung sino ang naglagay, pero alam naman natin sino ang mahilig ngayon sa tarpaulin. At kung sino ang mahilig sa ganyang tarpaulin na hayagang nangre-redtag,” Bayan Muna Representative Ferdinand Gaite told Rappler.

(We don’t know who put it there, but we know who is fond of doing tarpaulins. And who is fond of putting out tarpaulins that brazenly red-tag.)

Ignacio cleared journalist Lady Ann “Icy” Salem and trade unionist Rodrigo Esparago of charges of illegal possession of firearms and explosives. Ignacio also voided the search warrants of Quezon City Judge Cecilyn Burgos Villavert, who is notorious to activists for issuing search warrants that resulted in dozens of arrests over the last two years.

Ignacio freed the two a month after her initial resolution, despite opposition from the local prosecutor.

A photo of the tarpaulin in daylight, unfurled fronting EDSA, was sent to Rappler late Tuesday afternoon, March 16, while a photo at nighttime showing the tarpaulin inside a different footbridge was tweeted by Gaite late Tuesday night.

Gaite said his photo was taken by members of indigenous peoples group Sandugo.

“The tarps speak for themselves. Independent, fair minded judges are under attack. Who has the motive to produce such inanity other than those extremely fond of red-tagging. Their handiwork will boomerang on them,” said Fides Lim, spokesperson of prisoners’ rights group Kapatid.

Marco Valbuena, who tweets as CPP’s chief information officer, said, “CPP disowns tarp found in Metro Manila in w/c CPP/NPA/NDF purportedly thanks judge who dismissed case against 2 HRDay polprisoners.”

This recent development adds up to a string of incidents that threaten members of the legal profession. Calbayog police intelligence chief Lieutenant Fernando Calabria Jr earlier asked their local court for a list of lawyers representing alleged communists.

Calabria was relieved after the Philippine National Police disowned the move. The Philippine Daily Inquirer reported that a month before this, police in Luzon had been digging around for archived cases and warrants against alleged communists.

“The courts are under attack,” said Gaite.

National Union of Peoples’ Lawyers president Edre Olalia said this latest incident sends “a very chilling effect on judges.”

“It sends a very chilling effect on judges who would stand up for truth and is an open attack on the independence of the judiciary. They want everyone to be on their side of the ring with a two-dimensional thought process: If you are not for us, then you are against us,” said Olalia.

The Supreme Court is under pressure to address attacks and threats against lawyers, prosecutors, and judges. New data showed 61 lawyers have been killed in the five years that President Rodrigo Duterte has been in office. – Rappler.com